Quote


But this is what I’m finding, in glimpses and flashes: this is it. This is it, in the best possible way.
That thing I’m waiting for, for that adventure, that movie-score-worthy experience unfolding
gracefully. This is it. Normal, daily life ticking by on our streets and sidewalks, in our houses and
apartments, in our beds and at our dinner tables, in our dreams and prayers and fights and
secrets - this pedestrian life is the most precious thing any of us will ever experience.

Shauna Niequist, Cold Tangerines: Celebrating the Extraordinary Nature of Everyday Life, 2010

Monday, March 23, 2015

He's My Son

(A Follow-Up to "I Am The Someone")


He’s my son
And he’s one
And he’s sweet
And he’s fun

Except when I was shopping today for a new lamp (since he knocked over the old one last week) and he screamed in the cart for pretzels & books & Cheerios & a drink and he threw his cup on the hard floor so there was a big puddle and while he cried “Uh-Oh!” over and over I had to stand there and say, “Watch out; my son spilled his water” until an employee came and set an orange cone there and mopped it up.  And I looked at that yelling creature in the cart and thought, “Is that my son?”

Later, in the car, I looked in his eyes – blue, with really long lashes.  Yep.  It was the same boy who was cute just an hour ago.  And I thought…

Hey, It’s okay
That you’re not fun today.
Sometimes I’m that way.
You’re my son.


Copyright © 2015, Danette Christensen, Light is All Around Me.
Material may be shared or printed for non-commercial use, but must include this copyright notice.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! And the quote at the top of the blog. And the I Am The Someone! Thanks for helping me remember that light really IS all around!

    ReplyDelete